Game Design – Week 13 – Changes

“The successful free to play games are selling positive emotions. Not content.” – Nicholas Lovell

“It should be the experience, that is touching. What I strive for is to make the person playing the game the director.” – Shigeru Miyamoto

SUMMARY

• I got this assignment done and I am working on getting the rest of my assignments done and get all caught up.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

Screenshot from Sololearn.com

Unity – C#

• “Variables” is the latest completed

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

Screenshot from Extra Credits Channel
MDA image from Wikipedia

MDA Notes

• Mechanics
  • Dynamics
  • Aesthetics

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• Mechanics are the base components of the game – its rules, every basic action the player can take in the game, the algorithms and data structures in the game engine etc.
    • Dynamics are the run-time behavior of the mechanics acting on player input and “cooperating” with other mechanics.
    • Aesthetics are the emotional responses evoked in the player.
  1. Sensation (Game as sense-pleasure): The player enjoys memorable audio-visual effects.
    • (God Of War) Kratos fighting baldur to save atreus which makes the player fight in the moment of good music and a set up battle field
  2. Fantasy (Game as make-believe): Imaginary world.
    • (Nioh) William fights kelly in order to stop him from getting the magical powers powers which will doom the earth
  3. Narrative (Game as drama): A story that drives the player to keep coming back
    • (2 destiny) Your character fights others in order to maintain status and get better loot to make it easier.
  4. Challenge (Game as obstacle course): Urge to master something. Boosts a game’s replayability.
    • (Fall Guys ) your character trys to do the obstacles but it is hard to do that sometimes without practice or mastering the obstacles
  5. Fellowship (Game as social framework): A community where the player is an active part of it. Almost exclusive for multiplayer games.
    • (Call Of Duty) people play online with each other and try to compete to see who is the best and you need multiple people in order to do this
  6. Discovery (Game as uncharted territory): Urge to explore the game world.
    • (Tomb Raider) you as the main character are searching to find the lost piece which will grant eternal life and you go on many adventures where you’ve never gone befor to get their
  7. Expression (Game as self-discovery): Own creativity. For example, creating a character resembling player’s own avatar.
    • (Nioh 2) you make your character where armour to protect you but certain armour give different stats and theses states can be changed to best suit your play style
  8. Submission (Game as pastime): Connection to the game, as a whole, despite of constraints.
    • (GTA) People can relate with the characters even though the characters do bad things their relatable to us in some sense
Worksheet from bananatreelog.com
  • Then review these ‘6 steps will help in reframing negative thoughts and over time your thoughts will be replaced with more rational thinking.’
    1. Recognize and Isolate the Thought
    2. Write Down the Thought
    3. Identify the Distress Level
    4. Identify the Cognitive Distortion
    5. Challenge & Reframe Your Thoughts
    6. Reevaluate the Distress Level

STUDIO (CREATIVITY)

Screenshot from Construct.net
  • There are many manuals that can help you no matter where your stuck or need help.

CONTROL ROOM (PRODUCTION)

Screenshot from Construct.net
  • the tools that they offer makes it easier to do projects weither your on a team or not it makes it easier to log and makes changes

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• I learned that in order to solve your problems you need to take responsibility than take action on them.
  • I couldn’t figure out how to get past the task I was on in unity C#. Then I went back and read it and made sure to pay attention to the details and I was able to advance.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

• Give feedback on this week’s class Content and Process
  • DELETE THIS WHOLE SECTION, AFTER YOU ARE DONE